Plastic is made from resins which is a sticky substance that is mainly composed of hydrocarbons that may either be sourced from plant sources like trees or it can be produced synthetically. You can find these resins usually very sticky when they are in liquid state and when they are hardened it becomes transparent. Most of these synthetic plastics are obtained from petroleum-based chemicals.
Nowadays plastic bottles are sparingly used for storing drinking water that may be ionized too. The water ionizers also use the tubing which is made out of plastic, that transports water from tap and pass through the water ionizer.
Most of the gallon containers for wholesale water supply are also plastic bottles which are used for selling water. The plastic used for supplying or storing water must essentially be using safe plastic. You must understand that all kinds of plastic materials may not be completely safe for drinking water.
What are unsafe plastics?
Usually plastic can be reasonably safe if they are handled properly. If any hazardous chemicals are used for making plastic then storing food or drink in it can be risky for human consumption. This risk further increases if the plastic is heated up. Therefore, one should never attempt to heat the food if it is packed in a plastic container. Then the chemicals can be transferred to the food or drink.
Also, there are certain types of plastics that can be riskier as compared to others because of the type of chemicals used in those plastics.
Following are few tips to clean the plastic in a safe manner.
- Use mild detergents for washing plastic boxes and make sure that you don’t use a scrubber to clean them.
- You must rinse the boxes with enough water and then preferably soak them in acidic, low pH water for sanitation.
- Never heat the food that is in the plastic container.
- Prefer to use better grade plastic particularly for food storage purpose and it must be certified safe for storing food materials.
- Prefer to use glass containers for storing water or any kind of drinks
- If the plastic container is damaged, discolored or scratched then discard them and send them for recycling.
- Read the warnings while storing food particularly acidic foods or beverages in the plastic containers.
Some kind of plastics are risker as compared to others and this is because of the chemicals used in manufacturing it. So, it is better to know the type of plastic and how safe they are for use.